A mother-daughter conversation on food and cooking (mostly)

Friday, August 22, 2008

Spelt Stuff



I've had good results lately with substituting 3 parts spelt flour and 1 part gluten-free flour for the regular wheat flour in my baked goods. I made excellent chocolate chip cookies--I think the secret there is to use lots of chocolate chips and nuts. Yesterday I made some nice banana bread with a modified Joy of Cooking recipe:


Spelt Banana Bread

5 1/2 tablespoons butter
2/3 cup sugar

Cream these together, then add:

1 cup spelt flour
1/3 cup gluten-free flour mix
3/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder

Mix until the mixture is grainy. Add:

2 eggs

Beat well. Add

2 mashed ripe bananas
1/2 cup nuts

Combine gently. Pour in greased 8"x4" loaf pan and bake 50 or 60 minutes at 350 degrees. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing.

Since there's less gluten, this doesn't toughen with overmixing, so I mixed it in the food processor.

No comments: