A mother-daughter conversation on food and cooking (mostly)

Friday, November 21, 2008

Pot Roast


I made pot roast in the crockpot again. It took maybe ten minutes of prep work. I browned a small chunk of beef, then put it in the crockpot with chopped carrots, onions, and mushrooms. I added salt, a bay leaf, and cheap wine and turned it on low for 20 hours. I served it with egg noodles.

Pot roast feels like wartime food, food for a recession, food for hard times. It also feels like food for winter; it's going to be 20 degrees here overnight. I did not move to the South for this.

I just finished a few big projects I had going, so I should be cooking and posting more. I'll have Thanksgiving plans up soon; we're going to try to shop for ingredients early this year instead of Wednesday evening.

We're going out for fancy Thai food tonight.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I make this for Jason all the time! My technique is almost exactly the same, except that he likes lots of potatoes in his. It's very satisfying to feed him for a whole week with only 10 minutes of work.