A mother-daughter conversation on food and cooking (mostly)

Monday, November 17, 2008

Outrageous Desserts


Nobody says "outrageous" any more. Very dated. I may have gone overboard with my dessert buffet at yesterday's recital. After all, the eight students played for only about 35 minutes (everyone's grateful for a short program, no matter how much they think their kid is a genius). Then there's a flurry of dessert-eating mixed with mutual congratulations and feelings of relief and pride. About 25 people attended, crowding into the room like that famous etching of a Schubertiad.

I make important desserts because I want a feeling of celebration. We had two 16-inch tarts--French Chocolate Cream and a Fruit Tart. I also made a bundt cake based on a mix (sorry) with the addition of dried cranberries, grated orange rind, and slivered almonds. And Cashew Cookies with Browned Butter Icing, and a bowl of grapes. Most things got devoured, along with some coffee and punch.

I delivered some desserts to Grandma this morning. I announced myself as the Calorie Fairy.

1 comment:

Eva said...

I love that etching, and I love reading about your desserts.