A mother-daughter conversation on food and cooking (mostly)

Monday, May 26, 2008

Crab Cakes


Every year at the beach Lawson makes crab cakes. But this year we brought the crabs back home to pick, and I made the crab cakes.

I used a simple combination of several recipes. This was roughly it:

1 lb crab meat
1 cup crushed crackers (These were thin rice-and-wheat cocktail crackers. Saltines would work, or bread crumbs.)
2 or more T mayonnaise
1 T Dijon mustard
1 T lemon juice
1 t lemon zest
1 egg
1/2 onion, diced and sauteed
3 T parsley, finely chopped
salt and pepper


Mix; form into 4 to 6 cakes; roll in salted cornmeal; chill for an hour or two; pan fry.

I also made a salad that we ate over two days -- one of my usual bean, herb, and citrus summer salads. It contained garbanzo beans, mint, cilantro, roasted red peppers, carrots, pumpkin seeds, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper. On the second day I added some spinach.

2 comments:

Kris said...

I love that there are pumpkin seeds in that salad.

Anonymous said...

Eva,

Well, it all carries me back. I want me some of them crab cakes again. How about September 2009 at Pawleys? I might just be able to get Pat & Dave down from Halifax. Tell Lawson I said so.

Yours always, Mark (in Kyoto)