A mother-daughter conversation on food and cooking (mostly)

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Rock Fish Veracruz


On my first attempt I thought I was taking a photo of this dish, but it turned out to be a little movie because I had set the camera dial to the wrong place. Since I kept moving the camera, it looked like the fish was dancing. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to embed my little movie in the blog. I'm sure it would become a hit on YouTube.


This is a fish Veracruz recipe I've used for years, compiled from Sunset magazine and other sources. This time I replaced most of the tomatoes with fresh tomatillos, and it was spectacular. Dad bought the fresh rockfish at the 17th Street Market and fresh roasted green chiles at Food City.


Fish Veracruz

1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, thinly sliced


Heat oil in large skillet and sauté onion and garlic until tender.

1 can diced tomatoes (or fresh tomatoes or tomatillos)
4 green chiles, chopped
10 stuffed green olives
1 tablespoon capers
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1 bay leaf
¼ teaspoon cloves
½ teaspoon sugar
Juice of ½ lemon
½ teaspoon salt

Add the next 10 ingredients and simmer for 5 or 10 minutes. Keep warm while preparing fish.

1 pound fish fillets (snapper, rockfish, grouper)
Flour, salt, pepper, olive oil


Cut fish in serving pieces. Dredge lightly in seasoned flour. Sauté in hot olive oil 3-4 minutes per side, or until just cooked through. Serve topped with sauce.


No comments: