A mother-daughter conversation on food and cooking (mostly)

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Non-Obsession and A Chicken-Rice Stew

Lawson's been sick and not eating much, so I took the opportunity to think less about food this week. I was planning a week like this, anyway. I needed a ramping down. And this article and the ensuing discussion across online food communities helped remind me that, unlike a lot of other food bloggers and people who think about food a lot, I never say I'm obsessed with food. Nor do I want to be. I want to keep my relationship with food functional and balanced. Of course, that doesn't always make for good posting. Nor am I always successful.

All week we ate very little. One night we had just lentils. Another night, grits and Swiss chard. Another, pinto beans and salad. It never felt restricted -- just like I was taking a break from multi-dish meals and meat and food food food.

Two nights ago I made a very simple chicken and rice stew. I browned a chicken breast and thigh, browned onions and carrots, and cooked the whole thing in water with bay leaves, star anise, and an allspice berry. And salt. Toward the end I added potatoes and rice. When it was cooked I shredded the chicken and stirred in a handful of chopped parsley. I think it cured Lawson the rest of the way. But we're having lentils again tonight.

No comments: