A mother-daughter conversation on food and cooking (mostly)

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Cafeteria Night


Mmmm: manicotti and slightly overdone broccoli. Lately I've had a compulsion to recreate classic cafeteria foods. I made spaghetti and meatballs a few weeks ago, and it tasted eerily like 4th grade lunch. We made green bean casserole for Lawson's mom. So far I have felt no urge to make that soggy pizza topped with ground beef, cheddar, and tomato paste, though.

We'd had these manicotti noodles in the pantry for too long, so I made some ricotta-parsley filling and doctored up some jarred pasta sauce, and here we are. It was pretty tasty in a generic sort of way. The broccoli was this recipe, but slightly overboiled for proper effect (okay, it was actually totally accidental, but it worked out).

So far, though, none of my almost-accidental cafeteria nostalgia has yet approached the glories of the Mid-Century Supper Club.

1 comment:

Kris said...

I ought to send my North Dakota macaroni cookbook to these Supper Club people--the photos are so much in tune (the little sombrero with the Mexican Macaroni recipe)--see9/26/07.