A mother-daughter conversation on food and cooking (mostly)

Friday, December 7, 2007

Pork Tenderloin Sandwich


I haven't formed a complete opinion about pork tenderloin. I like the lean, boneless idea of it, and whenever I find some on sale that isn't pre-marinated in some horrifying blend of corn syrup, preservatives, artificial flavorings, and food coloring, I buy it. And it's often pretty good. But it's not amazing. I eat it cold on sandwiches, but Lawson seldom comes back for more. It's just a little too bland, even with a flavorful marinade and sauce.

I thought this batch was pretty good. I marinated it in fresh orange juice, oregano, salt, and garlic, then drained it and rubbed it with chile powder, and then roasted it at 450 for about 30 minutes. It was barely pink in the middle.

Here it is a few days later on homemade sandwich bread with horseradish, mustard, mayonnaise, and a ton of lettuce.

1 comment:

Kris said...

I completely agree about pork tenderloin. It's so bland that it could be anything from bunny rabbit to pheasant--it's very convenient, however. I usually braise it with garlic, mustard, wine, and fresh herbs after browning the heck out of it. Then I reduce the pan liquid afterwards. I do this in a skillet over our propane cooktop in the camper and it's quite a fancy camping meal.