A mother-daughter conversation on food and cooking (mostly)

Monday, January 22, 2007

Zucchini Gratin

Neither Lawson nor I was very hungry tonight, but I bought some nice zucchini, so I went digging through my recipe file* to find the old recipe you gave me for Zucchini Cheese Casserole. It's a recipe from your low-fat cooking era, and thus contains fat-free cottage cheese and egg whites, but that was easily modified. I changed the name to make it sound fancier. It's just zucchini, a few different cheeses, eggs, green chiles, and some dill seed and black pepper.



The Le Creuset dish you gave me makes a perfect gratin -- good browned, crusty cheese all around the edges -- so the answer to your question from three weeks ago is yes, you should buy their gratin dish to replace your old copper one when it finally goes.

* My recipe file is cumbersome, but I am emotionally attached to it and have no intention yet of switching to something more useful. It's a legal-sized folder, so it won't fit on any bookshelves, and it's packed full of hand-scribbled recipes, notecards and postcards with recipes from you and Grandma, printouts of old emails you sent me in undergrad, magazine clippings, and random notes. Some of the recipes are written on the backs of old flyers from shows my first band played. One page contains your old recipe for sesame broccoli with a note in my handwriting saying "Don't buy cooking wine EVER."

***
Edited 05/20/07 to add: Here's an actual recipe to go with this post.

1 comment:

Kris said...

Your food photos in blue dishes are so beautiful! I feel I should include a nude picture here, but I'll pass.