A mother-daughter conversation on food and cooking (mostly)

Monday, January 15, 2007

Return to Hot Chicken

Tonight we are having, for the third time this weekend, barbecued chicken.

On Friday our friends Ken and Melanie had us over for dinner. They made risotto and steamed vegetables, and they grilled some chicken legs and wings over hardwood charcoal. The chicken was covered in a perfectly balanced classic barbecue sauce made in large batches by Melanie's mother.

Lawson became immediately obsessed and spent the next day reading about barbecue sauces and adding hardwood charcoal and chicken parts to my grocery list. His sauce that night wasn't great -- it mostly tasted like the hoisin sauce he added -- but the chicken was nicely grilled, with crispy skin. We had it with good creamy grits and sauteed spinach. I forgot to take a picture before we ate, but here is what my plate looked like after:



Well, today Lawson announced that he is going to try again. He returned from the store with still more chicken parts and charcoal, plus an enormous bottle of Hunt's ketchup (bleccch! Hunt's tastes like tomato paste.) This time we will eat chicken with sourdough bread and roasted beets, I think. Here is the bread still in the oven:

1 comment:

Kris said...

I admire obsessions. I bought some beets to roast, now that you reminded me of them.