A mother-daughter conversation on food and cooking (mostly)

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Zucchini Gratin II: An Actual Recipe

My camera's broken, which is just as well, because I just went digging through our archives for a zucchini recipe for tonight's dinner and found what has to be my most obnoxious post. There's no actual recipe there, just some blabber and a pretty picture. So for tonight's post I re-reconstructed the zucchini gratin recipe. Here it is:

Combine:
-2 pounds zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch chunks, and lightly steamed if tough
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 small can green chiles, diced
- 1 teaspoon dill seed
- 2 cups cheese. Use any combination of shredded or diced mozzarella, jack, or cheddar; cottage cheese; Parmesan; whatever.
- salt and pepper to taste

If you used drier cheeses, you might also want to add up to 1/4 cup of milk or cream.
Put everything in a buttered casserole dish. Mix together and sprinkle on top:
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs or 2 slices bread, diced
- 1 or 2 tablespoons melted butter or olive oil
- Parmesan, if you have any

Bake uncovered at 375 for about 20 minutes, or until browned and bubbly.

I served it with garden spinach drizzled with a warm caramelized onion and tarragon dressing, an ad hoc and surprisingly good side dish. For dessert we had banana bread.

1 comment:

Kris said...

Hey--you're back. I would like to hear about your trip to the beach. We will be home all week except for going out to dinner for Grandma's birthday on Wednesday.

Your post made me think about a recipe I adore: Jalapeno Macaroni. Must make it tomorrow.

I just administered? facilitated? emceed? the Winners' Recital for the competition I organized and now I'm free to cook and live normally (we ate at 5:30 this evening! before I went off to my recital).

Landscaping continues, but the end is in sight.

Talk soon. Love, Mom