A mother-daughter conversation on food and cooking (mostly)

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Curiously Satisfying


Here's one of my favorite starchy side dishes--although with some cheese it will do for a vegetarian main dish. I can't remember where I got the recipe, but I do remember the writer commenting that Italians loved bouillon cubes as a seasoning. I find the 12 cloves of garlic very bracing and restorative.


Penne with Garlic and Tomato Sauce

2 tablespoons olive oil
12 cloves garlic, peeled and lightly crushed
1 16-ounce can diced or crushed tomatoes
1/2 bouillon cube
Salt and pepper to taste

In large skillet, saute garlic in olive oil over medium-low heat until pale gold. Add remaining ingredients and simmer together for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook enough penne for two. Drain, toss with sauce, and top with Parmesan cheese.

No comments: