A mother-daughter conversation on food and cooking (mostly)

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Asparagus Salad Pasta


Not pasta salad -- salad pasta. Pasta with salad in it. I like noodles a lot, but I like them better cut with greenery and fiber. I love Thai and Vietnamese noodle dishes with lettuce in them, and I wondered if I could make a good Americanized noodle with green leaves. So I made this, which was really, really good.

Beat one egg in a bowl with a pinch of salt. Then beat in a bunch of olive oil. Really -- up to 1/3 cup.

Cut one bunch asparagus into 3" lengths (2 to 3 pieces per stalk), toss or spray with olive oil, and roast at 500 degrees for 6 to 10 minutes, until sizzling, cooked through, and just beginning to color. Toss in with the egg and oil.

Make a small amount of pasta -- maybe 1/3 of a standard box. I used linguine snapped in half. Drain and immediately toss with the asparagus, egg, and oil. The pasta should be hot enough to cook the egg.

Add salt to taste, a bunch of pepper, and about 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg -- just the tiniest bit.

Add 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice and a few shreds of zest.

Toss in a few ounces of grated Parmesan and/or Asiago cheese.

Mix in several large handfuls of mixed small greens or red romaine torn into small pieces. It should wilt slightly.

Serves 2 as a small main dish.

No comments: