A mother-daughter conversation on food and cooking (mostly)

Monday, October 1, 2007

Pancakes


I made buckwheat pancakes on Sunday morning. Lawson and I so seldom eat breakfast together (we both rush to get to work on time, I don't often get hungry before lunchtime, and he has a cereal habit) that it all seemed particularly special. The preparation was nothing fancy: I used the Joy of Cooking recipe for basic pancakes, but substituted toasted soba flour for half of the all-purpose flour. Because soba flour doesn't contain gluten, the pancakes were super tender. The nutty, weird buckwheat flavor went really well with the sourness and sweetness of yogurt and preserved figs. Lawson ate his with butter and syrup and seemed equally happy, so whatever.

I'll certainly make buckwheat pancakes again -- homemade soba noodles were fun, but perfecting them would be hilariously complicated, and I have to use up this soba flour somehow. But my favorite, favorite pancakes are sourdough. I'll have to get to work on a sourdough post. Cooking Habit doesn't really lend itself to long academic treatments of the sort I feel bread and yeast deserve, which is why I seldom post about bread here. But autumn means I can pull my starter from the fridge without the jar exploding within 30 hot, humid minutes, so I'll get to testing and writing.

1 comment:

Kris said...

This inspired me to make whole-wheat pancakes this morning. I had mine with strawberries, yogurt, and a spoonful of peach jam.