A mother-daughter conversation on food and cooking (mostly)

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Bread Wrestling


I really wrestled with this loaf of multi-grain bread--much messier than mud wrestling! I used 1 cup of mixed coarse corn meal, rolled oats, and whole rye flour; 2 cups of whole wheat flour; and 1 or 2 tablespoons gluten flour. The dough was so flabby after the first rise that I had to work in 1/2 cup white flour, and then knead twice more just to get it to stand up enough to form a sticky loaf.

On the positive side, it had excellent oven spring and good flavor, although it hadn't really cooled enough by dinner time. I'm curious to see whether it will have good texture tomorrow. Hey, life is full of drama!

***
This is the big benefit of being empty-nesters: We can selfishly cook and eat whatever we want. Nobody is waiting at the table requiring thousands of calories and carbohydrates; there are no vegetable-haters; no vegetarians (I love my vegetarian friends, and I enjoyed your vegetarian phases, but I also like flexibility); and if I decide to skip making a meal, Dad will do something about it.

Increasingly we like spicy, sort of ethnic food, with lots of fish and fresh fruits and vegetables. We like anchovies, capers, jalapenos, fresh ginger. We eat less meat each year. Lately we can't live without Medjool dates once a day.

No comments: