A mother-daughter conversation on food and cooking (mostly)

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Cape Cod Eating

I wish I had a picture of the counter at Chatham Fish & Lobster, with its bins of gleamingly fresh fish and shellfish--haddock, scrod, swordfish, sole, cod, tuna, salmon, bluefish! We bought and cooked scrod and haddock. Here are some of the other things we ate on the Cape and in Boston:
  • Lobster-filled Ravioli in White Wine Sauce
  • Crab Crepes
  • Cioppino
  • Smoked Salmon
  • Butternut Squash and Sage-filled Ravioli topped with Duck (!)
  • Shrimp Scampi
  • Swordfish
  • Kale, Sausage, and Lentil Soup made by Andy, absolutely delicious, to accompany the football game
Okay, I didn't order all these things myself, but I did taste them all. The most wonderful thing I had was a Fried Scallop Roll at Sir Cricket's, which perhaps you'll remember is the best fried clam joint in Orleans, near Gramp's nursing home. The scallops were large but not huge, and "fried" in this case involved only the barest whisper of coating. Of course they were served on that ridiculous soft white roll--that's a New England kink I don't quite get yet, but I'm working on it.

No comments: