A mother-daughter conversation on food and cooking (mostly)

Monday, July 16, 2007

Baked Cod Greek Style






I was scornful of Mark Bittman’s list of essential equipment which you posted on May 11th—however, he pointed me towards one tool for which I’m grateful. He suggested that the heat-resistant rubber spatula can replace the classic wooden spoon, and I’ve been using one, and it’s very satisfactory. I had a couple with removable wooden handles (for putting in the dishwasher), but just this week I bought a dishwasher-safe one.

Baked Cod Greek Style.

Cooking spray
1 pound fresh cod fillets

Place cod fillets in a baking dish coated with cooking spray. Season with salt and pepper.

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 green pepper, cut in strips
1 onion, cut in strips lengthwise
3 cloves garlic, chopped

Heat olive oil in a skillet and sauté green pepper, onion, and garlic until limp.

1 16-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 bay leaf
12 pitted black olives
1 teaspoon fish sauce
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Add tomatoes, oregano, bay leaf, olives, fish sauce, and pepper flakes to skillet. Cook and stir for five minutes. Pour sauce over cod fillets in baking dish.

1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

Sprinkle feta cheese over all. Bake at 400º for 20 to 30 minutes, or until fish is cooked through.

1 comment:

Eva said...

Yum!

I have one of those big heat-resistant spatulas, and I do use it lieu of a wooden spoon about half the time. Of course, I have a few wooden spoons (well, the flat angled kind, not really spoons) that I adore. The spatula is red so it doesn't get stained by tomato sauces.