A mother-daughter conversation on food and cooking (mostly)

Monday, February 19, 2007

A snack



Lest everyone think I eat only bacon-filled soups and homemade cookies, here is my post-gym snack: plain yogurt with almonds, dates, flax seed oil, and cinnamon. Check out the beautiful Japanese stoneware bowls I found at the Goodwill this weekend for 50 cents apiece.

For Christmas we gave Lawson's parents an Omaha Steaks gift certificate, so yesterday we had them over to eat the steaks. They requested ribeye, which was gristly but really tasty. Lawson had a New York strip instead, which had much less flavor. We had to keep the meal pretty traditional, so I made beets vinaigrette and that lemon custard souffle thing I love, and Lawson made wonderful roasted potatoes with rosemary, and sauteed spinach & mushrooms.

The best things I've made lately are: a) polenta using ground heirloom corn from the local mill one of my friends works at. Wow. And b) brussels sprouts braised in garlic butter. Finally I like brussels sprouts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love brussel sprouts now too..Love them. We eat some last night. I really love them roasted. Tossed on olive oil, fleur de sel, pepper, and herb de provence at 400 for about 40 minutes. Yummy.

Kris said...

"Finally" you love brussels sprouts? You used to eat them raw off the stalk when you were a toddler in Hawaii. I like them best quartered, boiled until just tender, and dressed with browned butter, mustard, and lemon juice.

Your Japanese dishes are very cool.