A mother-daughter conversation on food and cooking (mostly)

Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Best Caramel Sauce

I'm here today simply to pass on a recipe of my favorite kind--three ingredients and no unnecessary fuss.

Caramel has been near the top of my flavor list all my life. When we were little kids stopping by the Dairy Queen for a treat, I would always order the caramel sundae.

This is from Bon Appetit November 2006. It was intended to accompany an apple tart; I stuck the leftover jar in the freezer and brought it out twice to serve with warm date bars and French vanilla ice cream. It didn't separate or get grainy. I suspect it would make a great drizzle over a dark chocolate brownie.

CARAMEL SAUCE

1 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup heavy whipping cream
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter

Bring ingredients to boil in a heavy medium saucepan, whisking constantly until sugar dissolves. Boil gently, stirring often, until sauce coats a spoon thickly, about 10 minutes. Serve slightly warm.

No comments: