A mother-daughter conversation on food and cooking (mostly)

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Broiled Radicchio Pasta


Your roasted pasta post, along with the lovely radicchio I bought the other day, inspired me to make this pasta last night. I love broiled or grilled radicchio -- it's so bitter and sweet and weird. So I made this easy and delicious dish in whcih the fresh mozzarella is sweet enough to balance out the radicchio's intensity. It made me feel better about winter. It would have been good with some wilted spinach or another sweet green, I think.

1. Roast a few cloves of garlic. I like to peel them, put them in a coffee mug or ramekin, and cover them with olive oil, then roast the whole thing at 250 degrees for 35 or 40 minutes -- that way you get some leftover garlic olive oil and can be happy. But the method you use here is faster (with a "hot oven" being only 300 or 325 in my case).

2. Soak about 10 sun-dried tomatoes in warm water (or not, if using oil-packed). When soft, dice up and mix with mashed gooey roasted garlic in big serving bowl.

3. Quarter the radicchio and brush it with olive oil. Broil or grill until quite brown but not charred, turning several times.

4. Make pasta. I used ziti.

5. Drain hot pasta and toss in big bowl with garlic and sun-dried tomatoes.

6. Add salt and pepper to taste and olive oil to moisten. Then toss in:

- 1 ball fresh mozzarella, cubed
- 2-3 tablespoons Parmesan
- the chunks of broiled radicchio

Fresh herbs would be good but it's winter and I don't have any.

That's it!

No comments: