A mother-daughter conversation on food and cooking (mostly)

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Roasted Asparagus


Asparagus was a vegetable I learned to love all on my own, as an adult. When I was a kid I always had to choke it down with my nose plugged (actually plugged -- was I ever sly about that, or was it just obnoxious?), and now I mourn all those missed asparagus meals.

When I first lived on my own I would buy one new vegetable each time I went to the grocery store. I could be something exotic, or just something I'd never cooked by myself. Asparagus was one of my early conquests, and the first recipe I tried is still my favorite.

Roasted Asparagus
Heat oven to 500 degrees. This is a good side dish to serve with pizza or broiled fish or something else requiring a very hot oven, because it feels wasteful to get the oven so hot for something so quick and easy.

Snap or cut the bottoms off of one bunch of asparagus. For this recipe, the thinner the stalks are, the better. Spread on large rimmed baking sheet and toss with two teaspoons olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Roast for 5 to 9 minutes or until the tips are crackly and brown but not burnt.

Toss with lemon juice, pepper, and a little more salt. The asparagus is best after about 15 minutes, slightly above room temperature. The tips take on a sort of candied quality that is rather amazing.
The tray in the picture is a recent gift from Brittany, the world's greatest houseguest. She bought it in Sweden.

2 comments:

Kris said...

Wow--your food pictures always make me want that food so intensely.

I think maybe I was a Bad Parent because I was so strict about making you kids eat your vegetables.

Eva said...

No, I'm happy we had to eat all our vegetables, even though I didn't like it then.